Moving House Check-List
The Best Way to Move HouseAt Amber Access Space, we understand that moving home can be an incredibly stressful experience, especially if you're not quite as prepared as you should be. So, in order to help put your mind at rest, we’ve compiled a comprehensive checklist to help you manage the entire process of moving house. Before you start, it's always advisable to keep everything in one place, admin-wise, so be sure to create a journal or a folder to keep all your house documents and notes together.
4-6 weeks prior to movingIt's around about this time that you need to start figuring out exactly what you'll be taking with you to your new house, what you'll be getting rid of and what you might want to put into storage.
- make a checklist of the items you know you'll be taking with you on the big day. You'll need to give your removals company an idea of how much stuff you'll have, even if they plan to conduct a pre-move survey.
- it's a good idea to get at least 5 quotes from different removals firms before you choose one.
- finalise the details concerning the exchange of contracts with your solicitor and fix the final moving date. Then you can choose your removals company and organise parking permits and arrangements at both addresses.
- don't forget to check the route to your new house, checking removals lorry access.
2 weeks prior to moving
- you should now be able to confirm that everything is in place and ready to go with your removals company, estate agent, new schools, etc.
- if your removals firm is not providing additional services (such as un-plumbing your washing machine, reassembling furniture and so on), you'll need to make sure they're organised.
- you might also want to arrange for children and pets to be cared for at a separate location on the day of the move.
1 week prior to moving
- ideally, your packing will almost be finished at this stage — if you find you're worried about having too much stuff for your new home, don't forget you can always put some of it in storage.
1 day prior to moving
- time for a final check. Walk around every inch of your soon-to-be old house, making sure everything is packed away and ready for the move.
- charge your mobile phone. You're bound to need it in the morning.
The day of the move
- as well as being ready for the removals people when they arrive, you'll need to remember to take last-minute meter readings and of course, leave all the keys ready for the new owners.